If you check back sometimes, despite the long silences I fall into, you already know I think current US politics are worthless. So I haven’t mustered up the energy to say anything about the impending rearrangement of deck chairs on our Titanic. However, I see on The Distant Ocean that Thomas Kenny has made the only comment needed:
Heaven forbid that the Republicans win on Nov. 2!
- They might escalate in Afghanistan and fake a withdrawal from Iraq.
- They might pass a bogus health reform law written by the insurers, thereby entrenching them in the system for many years to come.
- They might put EFCA (labor rights reform) on a back burner.
- They might step up deportations of undocumented workers.
- They might expand the military budget to an all–time high.
- They might retain Bush’s apparatus of repression, including torture and assassination of US citizens by White House fiat.
- They might keep Guantanamo open and tighten the blockade of Cuba.
- They might threaten war with Iran.
- They might cave in to Israel and the Israel lobby, and neglect Palestinian rights.
- They might throw billions of our tax dollars at mega-bankers, but do little or nothing for ordinary homeowners.
- They might tolerate a 10 percent unemployment rate, with jobless rates double or triple that for youth of color.
- They might start overthrowing lawful elected governments in Central America.
- They might start raiding the homes of leftwing antiwar activists.
He did forget a huge one:
- They might trade away the right to control one’s own body for votes from theocrats.
In the inimitable words of vastleft: The Democrats, a roach motel for progressive energies.